SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#130466 - 07/31/07 08:48 AM Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Have any Roland users here messed around with the GM piano "European Pf"? WOW, what a beautiful hidden sound that should be part of a preset voice list rather than the GM set.

With very little tweeking, and I mean "very little" this GM piano is amazing for classical work. The only downside is playing it with "synth action keys". It's a very expressive voice, and should be played with (at the very least) semi-weighted keys.

Anyone here play with this voice, and is it on your GM voice list? Roland's GM voice set IMO is actually quite good.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#130467 - 07/31/07 10:13 AM Re: Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
All keyboards use the same sound generation system for all their voices, normal and GM (GS, XG) so there is no reason for the GM (GS, XG) voices to sound any worse then the normal sounds.
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#130468 - 07/31/07 10:30 AM Re: Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Squeak that was my favorite on the G1000

#130469 - 07/31/07 10:32 AM Re: Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
squeak_D Offline

ahhhh , that's not always true bill You'll find some voices in GM are in the preset list, but with "creative" effects editing that makes it sound like a better quality sample, then there are some GM sounds that aren't the best.

I haven't found this particular piano sample anywhere within my RS-70's preset voices. It appears to be a GM exclusive voice. What's so odd is that with some light adjustment to the velocity offset, this GM piano is more "expressive" than all the acoustic pianos in preset.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-31-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#130470 - 07/31/07 10:35 AM Re: Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
squeak_D Offline

Fran, it's my favorite piano sound too on my RS-70. Sadly I didn't pay any attention to it for the longest time. Then one day when tweeking some sounds I fiddled with it, and nearly wet my pants. It's without a doubt a sound that needs a good keybed that's at least semi-weighted. I can only imagine how good this sound was on you G-1000 using the G's keybed.

#130471 - 07/31/07 11:35 AM Re: Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing I like so much about the G70's GrandX patch is (apart from the detailed stereo image, as opposed to the GS panned mono samples) is that, because it is a 4-way vel-switch sound, you get all the warmth of the European Pf at lower velocities, but still get nice and bright when you spank it.

The warmth and detail in the mid and low velocities is what, IMO, separate it from the Yamaha's piano sets. Even their top of the line stuff doesn't get as warm when you play medium soft, although they are delicious at higher velocities. The overall impression I get with most piano sets is that, as you play softer and softer, the piano sounds like it is getting more and more distant. But the GrandX just sounds quieter and warmer, but the same distance.

If you want to spank through a Jerry Lee rocker, it may not float your boat, but play classical or jazz, new age or ballads, and there isn't a better piano in an arranger (GIGA excepted) in my opinion...

Purgatorycreek.com .... The best place on the web for A/B-ing piano sample sets.

#130472 - 07/31/07 11:39 AM Re: Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
squeak_D Offline

Yeah that GrandX piano patch is amazing! I was joking with the sales guy after I played the Fantom X8 at Guitar Center. I played it for 30 seconds, then turned to the guy and said "I'm going to need a few minutes alone with her"....... It's a very nice piano sample, and "extremely" expressive.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-31-2007).]

#130473 - 08/01/07 04:44 AM Re: Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Maybe it's me, or maybe it's the electronic amplification, or maybe it's just psychological, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, out there (including giga samples) sounds like a real piano to me. Not the tone, not the responsiveness, not the changing dynamics through the ranges, not the "feel", regardless of the keybed.

For convenience, I always record using an "electronic" piano of some type. My favorite used to be the stereo piano from my old Quadrasynth (traded in to DanO). I now use a custom sample on the triton but sometimes one from the Motif ES. I don't really have a quality softsample but with my new "supercomputer" , I may invest in something (Ivory, maybe???). I sold my Baldwin Grand when we moved to Hawaii and since we've moved back to the mainland, I haven't felt the need to shell out 20k for a quality grand.

The whole eternal quest for the "perfect" piano always intrigues me as it's usually by people who are not primarily pianist'. Similar situation with the "perfect" B3 by non-organist. Why is this? In the case of the piano, few, if any, record solo piano and most of the subtleties (good vs great) are lost in the mix in group arrangements.

When sketching out something using an arranger, I always just use the "stock" piano sound and it sounds fine to me. Maybe it's just old, tired, ears.

Diki?

chas

#130474 - 08/01/07 05:47 AM Re: Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas , I understand what you are saying...personally I think you are playing the weakest of the group..namely Triton and Motif...Try the RD700sx or the SRX card[SRX11..I think]..I think these are the best without going VST..Pergatory.com[piano test] will show you....

I also find a lot of acoustic pianos do not sound as good as some Roland pianos

BTW: Why did you guys ditch Hawaii and come back?...I have friends that moved there, and never returned....
I am looking for a good family in Hawaii to send my wife there...

#130475 - 08/01/07 06:32 AM Re: Roland GM piano "European Pf" ????
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Chas , I understand what you are saying...personally I think you are playing the weakest of the group..namely Triton and Motif...Try the RD700sx or the SRX card[SRX11..I think]..I think these are the best without going VST..Pergatory.com[piano test] will show you....

I also find a lot of acoustic pianos do not sound as good as some Roland pianos

BTW: Why did you guys ditch Hawaii and come back?...I have friends that moved there, and never returned....
I am looking for a good family in Hawaii to send my wife there...

I'm sure your wife is looking even harder than you .

We left for for two reasons: the unexpected arrival of grandchildren (not enough reason for ME, but enough for my wife who came down with a sudden case of "grandma-itis"), and the real estate market. An example, our last house that we had built for 600g sold just 13 months later for 1.2m. We bought 4 properties while we were there and made very handsome profits on each.

As to the RD700sx, I agree with you that it is by far the most 'satisfying' of the fake pianos (to play) for me. BUT, that sucker ain't cheap and I just couldn't justify it to have an "almost real" piano. If I gigged regularly with a piano trio, that's probably the one I would invest in.

You may be correct about using the weakest piano, but they seem to blend nicely with the other instruments from the same board.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online